My contact hours for phone calls and email enquiries are Tuesday to Saturday from 10am to 6pm.

However, I'm available for assessments from Tuesday to Saturday from 8am through to 10pm.

Clients are welcome to come to my home in the village of Crawley Down which is in between Crawley and East Grinstead, West Sussex. There is ample parking on the road. I've also had clients fly into London Gatwick Airport or come down by train from London to the nearest stations (Three Bridges and East Grinstead). The airport and train stations have taxi ranks.

In non-COVID times, if you live in Sussex, Surrey or Kent, I can come to your home, school or workplace for a small additional cost (see 'Services and fees'). I can travel to London for single assessments if door-to-door transport is arranged and paid for by the client. I'm able to travel to other parts of the UK and abroad if there is a group of at least 3 candidates who require full diagnostic assessments and can be seen over two consecutive days.

For remote assessments, I can see anyone regardless of where they live in the UK but you may wish to find someone nearer to you if there's a chance you'd like to pursue a top up assessment at some point face-to-face for a diagnosis.

At this present time, I have to be guided by the SpLD Assessment Standards Comittee (SASC) which has made it clear that diagnoses cannot be made online. This is for various reasons including how some essential practical tasks cannot be done remotely. Should this advice change, my website will be updated.

No. Some schools conduct basic dyslexia screenings which look to see if there are 'signs' of dyslexia but they do not provide a diagnosis. Screenings can be a useful first step before investigating difficulties further but they're not 100% reliable. For example, a screening may indicate no signs of dyslexia yet teachers see clear difficulties in the classroom. They may indicate that a chlid probably has dyslexia yet the difficulties may relate to something else.

From assessing for many years, my reports are held and accepted by schools all over the south east (and beyond) in terms of providing a formal diagnosis. My 'assessment practising certificate' (APC) is the gold mark that anyone pursuing an assessment should look for in an assessor. Renewing my APC is a stringent process that I have to go through every 3 years and which I have now done succesfully several times. Clients and schools can check to see if an assessor has an APC on the SASC website

In my view, it's important to identify difficulties as early as possible so that appropriate interventions can be put in place and the child's self-esteem is not adversely affected. However, a child might just need slightly longer to acquire those early skills, after which they flourish without any difficulties. Therefore, I assess children age 7 and above. In very rare and exceptional cases, I will see a 5 or 6 year old but only with the FULL involvement and support of the school. Parents must speak to the school in the first instance.

I'd very strongly encourage you to speak to your child's teacher or the school's SENCo (Special Needs Coordinator) about whether they suspect that your child has a specific learning difficulty. As assessors, we always advise families to involve the school if possible including asking class teachers or SENCos to complete questionnaires prior to the assessment. However, there are situations where families do not wish to include the school so you can book an assessment without having the school involved. However, I will ask to see your child's last school report in this case.

The 'services' page on this website provides more information about exam access arrangements.

The school or college plays a critical part in determining what might help your child in exams as any help put in place MUST reflect his/her normal way of working with the classroom, such as your child finding it hard to complete exam papers within the set time or teachers observing that your child needing longer to complete tasks in class.

If you feel that help is needed, you must speak to the Special Needs Coordinator (SENCo) in the first instance to see whether the school can conduct a brief assessment for this. If it can't please ask the school whether it will accept an external report from someone like myself as I'm very happy to complete JCQ form 8.

We'd ideally need to sit at a kitchen/dining room table as some of the exercises involve writing. If this is not possible, we can sit on sofas but there must be at least a coffee table where you or your child can write comfortably. I'll bring all the forms, stationery and test materials. Lastly, information about any parking difficulties or restrictions near your house is really helpful for me so do let me know before I come to you.

I ask that you're not with your child during the assessment. From experience, children settle down really quickly (even the most shy child) and talk really openly about how they feel about school, etc. However, once the assessment has finished, I'll invite you to join us so that I can give you immediate feedback. If your child would like to meet me via Zoom before the assessment takes place, we can arrange this for free.

No, not at all! I see many adults who need assessments for work, returning to study or just to get an answer to a lifelong question about having some type of learning difficulty. I've assessed several people in their 70s.

No. This may relate to eye difficulties such as visual stress (known as Irlen Syndrome) or tracking, and must be investigated by an optometrist before the dyslexia assessment takes place. Your chld may be prescribed eye exercises, coloured overlays or glasses with tinted lens. Most people with dyslexia can read on white paper without any difficulties. If your child has been given an overlay by the school, this may be masking eye difficulties and therefore an appointment with an optometrist is highly recommended. As advised by our professional body, the trialling of coloured overlays is no longer part of dyslexia assessments.

When someone has physical difficulties (such as walking, self-care, falls and cooking), it's advisable to seek a medical assessment through the GP or with a private occupational therapist. This is especially the case if difficulties have worsened or have only occurred more recently. However, dyspraxia can be diagnosed as a specific learning difficulty as it affects motor skills as well as issues around organisation, planning and coordination. This can impact adults in education and in the workplace, and therefore specialist assessors (like myself) who have had the necessary training can assess for dyspraxia following strict guidelines. Clients can use my reports to apply for support through the Disabled Students' Allowance, for professional exam bodies and for Access to Work. 

Please note that any concerns regarding children (i.e. under 16s) MUST go through the medical route and therefore a GP referral to a paediatrician or occupational therapist would be advisable.

ADHD can be formally diagnosed only through the medical route (such as a paediatrician or psychiatrist) and I can provide details about where private assessments can be sought if a GP referral isn't possible. However, I can formally explore 'signs' of ADHD, enough for university students to use my reports to apply for the Disabled Students' Allowance due to having a profile that strongly 'suggests' ADHD.

For anyone aged 17 or under, the report goes to the parent who can share it as appropriate. For anyone aged 18+ (including those in sixth form or college), the report is sent to the person named on it although they may want to give permission for the report to also be sent to a parent.

For adults who are no longer in education, an executive summary will be sent along with the full report so that this shorter document omitting highly personal information can be shared with an employer. 

Where reports are commissed by and paid for by employers, the full report will go to the employee but an executive summary will go to the employee and employer.

You may cancel or postpone the appointment at the last minute without occurring charges. However, please give me sa much notice as possible so that I can offer the assessment slot to someone else.