Fees and FAQs

How much do you charge?

I charge £425 for full diagnostic assessments for children and adults conducted in the assessor's home (including for the Disabled Students Allowance). 

There is an additional cost of £25 for assessments in the client's home in Surrey, Sussex and Kent. 

Please contact Sarah regarding fees for:

  • assessments that need to be carried out over at least 2 sessions
  • exam access arrangements assessments
  • additional paperwork that needs to be completed, such as legal documents


How quickly can I be seen?

Unfortunately, I do get exceptionally booked up. My next appointments (whether a school day or Saturday) are in June.


Can you assess for dyslexia and dyscalculia in one assessment?

In the vast majority of cases, no. The reason for this is that assessing for one of these specific learning difficulties involves an intensive session. If further testing is conucted on the same day, tiredness could affect the reliability of the results. Therefore, a separate session will usually need to be scheduled but please discuss this at the time of booking if possible.


How do I pay for an assessment?

I ask for payment on the day of the assessment. This can be done by cash, cheque or BACS and I will issue you with a receipt if you would like one. Assessment reports will be sent within 21 days of cleared payment.


My employer/college/university is going to pay for my assessment. Can you supply a quote and/or invoice?

Yes, that is fine. Having already agreed payment prior to the assessment, I will invoice the company or educational institution after the assessment and ask that payment is made within 30 days of the invoice date.


What happens if I need to cancel an assessment?

You may cancel the appointment at the last minute without incurring any charges. However, I ask that you give me as much notice as possible so that the appointment time can be used by other clients.


I am going to university and I need an assessment. When should I book my appointment?

In order to apply for the Disabled Student Allowance, you need to have an assessment on or after your 16th birthday. With many people leaving assessments until the very last minute (July/August) and appointments getting very booked up, I would recommend that you book your appointment with me as early as possible. This also makes it more likely that you will have your needs assessment and the support put in place in plenty of time before you begin your studies.


My child is due to sit GCSE/A' level exams and I think extra time is needed.

The 'services' page on this website provides more information about exam access arrangements. The school or college plays a critical part in determining what might help your child in exams as any help put in place has to reflect his/her normal way of working with the school, such as your child finding it hard to complete exam papers within the set time or teachers observing that your child needing longer to complete tasks in class. If you feel that help is needed, you must speak to the Special Needs Coordinator (SENCo) in the first instance to see whether the school can conduct a brief assessment for this or, if not, whether the school will accept an external report from someone like myself. 


Do I need to provide anything when you come to assess me?

We will need to sit at a kitchen/dining room table as some of the exercises involve writing but I will bring all the forms, stationery and tests. If you do have copies of previous assessments, then it would be helpful for me to have a look at these (either when I arrive or emailed/posted to me in advance). Lastly, information about any parking difficulties or restrictions near your house is really helpful for me so do let me know before I come to you. 


Can I be with my child when s/he is being assessed?

I ask that you are not with your child during the actual assessment but we will have spoken at length prior to my arrival. However, once I have run through all the tests, I will invite you to join us so that I can give you both immediate feedback.


My child is 6 years old. Do I need to wait until s/he turns 7?

In my view, it is important to identify difficulties as early as possible so that appropriate interventions can be put in place and the child's self-esteem is not adversely affected. However, a child might just need slightly longer to acquire those early skills, after which they flourish without any difficulties. Therefore, I assess children age 7 and above. In very rare and exceptional cases, I will see a 5 or 6 year old but only with the full involvement and support of the school. This must be discussed with me over the phone in the first instance.


Am I too old to be assessed?

No, not at all! I have seen many people in their 40s, 50s and 60s, and I saw one delightful lady who was 73. They often pursue assessments for work or study needs or just to get an answer to a lifelong question about having some type of learning difficulty.


I thought that dyspraxia could only be diagnosed by a medical professional. Is that correct?

Where someone has difficulties that are physical (such as walking, self-care and cooking), you would be advised to seek a medical assessment, such as with an occupational therapist. However, it is also classified as a specific learning difficulty and difficulties with planning, organisation, etc. severely impact on studies and/or work. Therefore, in 2013, the SpLD Assessment Standards Committee (SASC) released information about how specialist assessors can assess for dyspraxia following its guidance about suitable tests. This applies to students and individuals aged 16+.

For childhood dyspraxia assessments, you can find a private occupational therapist at www.cot.co.uk