I have had the pleasure of being a teacher since 1999. My teaching experience spans across the Skills for Life agenda (including literacy, numeracy, English for Speakers of Other Languages, IT and adults with general learning difficulties). I also spent 9 years as an Additional Learning Support lecturer in a Further Education college where, as well as conducting assessments, I provided specialist support for students studying a range of subjects, from pre-entry level to graduate level. I also delivered initial teacher training and INSET sessions.
For the past 13 years, I have specialised in dyslexia and other specific learning difficulties, and have studied to postgraduate diploma level (see qualifications below) so that I can expand the range of services that I can offer assessments to all age groups.
Having conducted hundreds of full diagnostic assessments for children and adults, I bring a wealth of experience to the assessment which is conducted in a friendly yet professional manner. I receive referrals from schools (state and independent), colleges, universities and occupational health departments, and I have also completed assessments for Social Services. I have assessed children and adults with other needs, such as Autistic Spectrum Conditions, ADHD and mental health difficulties. I have also assessed abroad and have had clients fly to the UK.
I am lucky to be mum to two sons and am able to easily put children (and parents) at ease. My eldest son has dyslexia and dyspraxia, and therefore I have experience of supporting him through his schooling, college and beyond. I regularly volunteer at a youth club for teeangers with severe learning difficulties and enjoy blogging about new experiences on my bucket list www.sarah50.blog/about/
I hold the following relevant qualifications:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Adult Dyslexia Diagnosis and Support
- Current PATOSS SpLD Assessment Practising Certificate
- MA Lifelong Learning
- Postgraduate Diploma in Professional Studies in Education
- BSc (hons) 2:1 Open University (English, maths, social policy, education and music)
- Certificate of Education
- QTLS (Qualified Teaching and Learning Status)
- CACHE level 2 certificates: Understanding Autism and Understanding Behaviour That Challenges (Passed subject to moderation).
- Fellow of the Society for Education and Teaching
- Member of PATOSS (Professional Association of Teachers of Students with Specific Learning Difficulties)
- Member of the Dyslexia Guild
Other relevant information:
- Clean enhanced DBS record (previously known as a CRB check). Last carried out in December 2015
- Holds Professional Indemnity Insurance
- Data Protection registered with the Information Commissioner's Office
- Regularly attends face-to-face training events and webinars to ensure that my practice is current and reflects changes in the assessment of specific learning difficulties.